I’ve Been Completely BANNED From the Android Market

In case you were wondering where all of my applications went, Google decided to suspend my entire account and all applications on it on December 29th, 2010 at 8:46 PM (UTC). This is very disappointing, frustrating, and depressing, especially since I am no longer allowed to upload any new Android applications. I believe that Google went too far and should have only suspended the infringing applications instead of banning my entire account, since I had many legitimate, non-infringing applications on it, such as EliteGuard, Currency Converter, Simple Dice, Find the Mouse, and InfiniteSMS (I don’t believe simply removing the SMS sending limit qualifies as infringement). Here is the message I have received from the Android Market Support Team:

Hello Dylan,

After a regular account review, your Android Market Publisher account has
been suspended due to multiple violations of our Terms of Service. You may
view these terms here:

http://www.android.com/us/developer-distribution-agreement.html (Section
4.4).

Please note that Android Market Publisher suspensions are associated with
developers, and may span multiple accounts.

We are not inclined to reverse this decision.

Regards,
The Android Market Team

An hour after receiving this message from Google, I decided to try to appeal the ban, with an apology letter directed toward the Android Market team. As of January 3rd, 2011, I have not received any reply from them at all. A copy of my response to them is below:

Dear Android Market Support,

In addition to the applications that infringe upon your terms of service, I had many ‘legitimate’ applications listed that cause no harm to any devices or networks, or infringe on your terms of service in any way. I would like to appeal your decision to suspend my account, and I would like to request a specific list of infringing applications and how they infringe upon your terms of service so that I can remove those particular applications from the market if I am given another chance to distribute my applications on the Android market. Although you say that I have multiple violations of your terms of service, the only application I wrote that I am aware may potentially infringe on your terms of service is “EliteBomb”, my text-bombing application, of which I had multiple versions listed. When I uploaded this application, I was not aware that it was against your terms of service, and I would like to apologize for any misunderstandings. I realize that you don’t have to unsuspend my developer account, but given another chance, I would like to keep my applications that do not infringe on your terms of service listed, and upload more applications in the future. I have no intention of abusing the privilege of uploading Android applications. I will not upload another text bombing application, given the chance, without your prior consent.

Dylan Taylor

Unfortunately at this point, it doesn’t look like I will be able to get my Android market developer account back, and this is really frustrating and depressing. I truly would like to continue to develop and support my applications for Android, but it does not look like Google will allow me the privilege of doing so, so I shall begin to look into alternative means of distribution. This is a truly disappointing and sorrowful moment for me. :-(

46 Responses to I’ve Been Completely BANNED From the Android Market

1. Glen says:

I cant believe that google suspended your entire account because of something like elite bomber. What about all the other apps out there that spoof your number, etc? Please keep us informed about other distribution options that you set up. I looked here on your blog, but couldnt find any download links. My friend just got a Droid and wanted elite bomb. My friends and I use elite bomb on each other all the time. If there is a way to download it, I would love to be able to get it for him so he can atleast get the rest of us back.

• Dylan Taylor says:

I’ve been on setting up a website for distributing my applications, but it’s not done yet (you can tell it’s a work in progress), and I have no way of accepting payments right now, as Google banned my Google Checkout account as well. Here are some direct links you can use for now, until I get the new site up:

EliteBomb Regular Version (not Plus): http://code.dylanmtaylor.com/apps/android/EliteBomber.apk
      EliteBomb Lite Version (for Android 1.6 ONLY): http://code.dylanmtaylor.com/apps/android/EliteBomb-Lite.apk
      Android versions lower than 1.6 are not, and never have been supported.

Thanks for the comment, it’s great to see that one of my users actually bothered finding my blog and writing to me! It’s very encouraging to know that there are people out there that actually care that I got banned from the Android market. :)

2. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

I have been suspended and tried to set up new account even using prepaid visa cards and aliases and somehow Google knows, takes my $25 developer fee then closes the account an hour later with no reason. I have had reply to my appeals that said basically we won’t reopen your account and we won’t tell u why 4 separate developer accounts I had were closed. One account didn’t even have any apps in it!
    I don’t know if it’s a temporary ban or for life? Somebody get a job at Google we need an inside man to help!

• Dylan Taylor says:

Just out of curiosity, do you know why you were originally banned from the Android market?

3. hanni says:

i have bought the elitebomb and the eliteguard. is there any update of this 2 apps that you can send me with mail if i send you the ordner number?

• Dylan Taylor says:

I’ve been banned from Google Checkout as well. I’m not able to check any of my previous order numbers. Also, I haven’t updated them since I got banned. Sorry.

4. Steve says:

I understand your frustration, not from experience since I’ve never been there, but staring at the big corporate brick wall from the outside is always frustrating. I also understand Google’s perspective. I wouldn’t understand the finer technical points of how your app violated their terms of service even if it were explained, but I don’t think that’s the real issue here. Since text messages cost some people money to receive, a text bombing app has the potential of causing significant financial injury. I know that guns don’t kill people and that people kill people, but a text bombing app doesn’t pass the sniff test. It’s also pretty mean, even if you’re in to pranking. Forgive me if I sound patronizing, but I was a huge fan of clippy, and would love to see it added back to the marketplace. I’ve had no luck in installing non market apps on my Dell Streak even using the SDK, so I guess I’ve got more reseatch to do. But I’d love a link to clippy if you have it hosted somewhere. I wish you luck in getting your publishing privileges back, especially since the requirements for reparations are not published. But if you really have trouble making judgment calls on appropriate apps, have them reviewed before publishing by a few trusred sources first. Seems you’ve had to pay a high price for your decision to publish first and ask for forgiveness later.

• Dylan Taylor says:

I appreciate that you actually posted on my blog letting me know that you liked Clippy, and that you would like a link to it. Although I haven’t tested this particular .apk file to make sure it works properly, here’s a version of Clippy I found backed up on my hard drive: http://code.dylanmtaylor.com/apps/android/Clippy.apk
      Because I was working on improving Clippy, even though I have the source code, there are some bugs with the version I’ve been working on, so hopefully that link works right. If not, I’ll have a working version up eventually. I’ve been somewhat busy lately…

• Steve says:

Is Clippy open source? I’ve never developed on an Android app before, and Clippy seems simple enough to not to be overwhelming. If it has bugs, I wouldn’t mind taking a look at it. It may take me some time to get the dev tools setup, and I haven’t had any luck sideloading my Dell Streak even using the Sideload Wonder Machine. I’ve found some articles on rooting the Dell Streak, but haven’t jumped yet. Is the source for Clippy hosted somewhere, or is it closed source. If it is closed, I wouldn’t mind agreeing to an NDA to have a look at a practical and functional Android app like Clippy. Let me know.

• Dylan Taylor says:

Clippy is not open source software (yet). I was planning on open sourcing it, but I have a lot of other things I need to get done. Open sourcing it would require cleaning up the code, fixing some bugs, and documenting the source code, all of which are very tedious. I’ll probably end up open sourcing it in the future.

5. XHyperioNX says:

Dylan,
    I’ve been researching for about 2 hours to find all across the internet for Elite SMS Bomber!
    It is absolutely nowhere to be found, not even in torrents in ANY torrent website.
    Please, please, please send me the apk file for a droid phone to my email. I have been
    going insane over this. It’s really a downer to see what happened to you and what the droid
    market has done to you. You are smart and really made some of the best droid applications
    ever made, why they banned you idk… because your applications give reason to buy droid phones
    rather than get rid of them. Please get in touch with me asap. I may also revitalize your career.

• Dylan Taylor says:

I posted these links in the comments on this page, but I’ll post them again here:

I really appreciate the fact that you enjoy my applications. I’ve been working on creating my own app store to distribute my applications outside of the Android market, and it will hopefully be done soon. Check back for more updates soon, as I’ve been working on it quite actively lately, despite other responsibilities I also need to worry about.

• Nami says:

Hi Dylan, could you please email me.
        After reading your post I believe we have a lot in common and I would really like to hear if you’ve had any progress.

BR

6. Josh Sutton says:

Do you happen to have the apk for infinitesms? Would really appreciate it. Sad to hear about all this and is complete b.s

7. Brett says:

Hey I’m really sorry and sad to see what happened. I’ve been trying to reinstall text bomber after flashing a new Rom since after Christmas. Your app was awesome. Anyways if there is any way for me to get the elitebomber plus let me know. I already paid for it in the market but I know you can’t look that up ha. Thanks! -Brett

• Dylan Taylor says:

Unfortunately there’s not a very good method for me to give those who paid for EliteBomb Plus a copy of the .apk file right now. I might be able to work something out in the future.

8. Trevor Holder says:

I fail to see why the blocked the application. In the terms it does not say anything about not having spam apps. Did they say what the violations were?

• Dylan Taylor says:

They never sent me any additional correspondence other than the email I quoted in this post.

9. Jason says:

Sorry to hear that you’ve been banned from the Android market.. Just curious because I just recently got a theme application taken down simply because it had the name “Twilight” in it. Did you receive any notice letters regarding the take downs, and how many did you receive? I’m just curious because I want to be cautious on what I publish now. Thanks.

• Dylan Taylor says:

I didn’t receive a single letter from them. My app got pulled, and then, less than a week later, I got an email informing me that my account has been suspended.

• Jason says:

wow that’s so unfair. i believe google is supposed to notify you about the fact they took down your apps cause in the letter i got, it said that repeated issues will result as a ban from the market

10. dillonorden says:

hey dylan,
    i bought the elitebomb plus version, and got a new phone so i lost the app i paid for. what do i gotta do to either A get refunded or get a copy of the apk file

11. Steve Bones says:

Has anyone succesfully created a new Developer account? I see the replies above by some dude who apparently tried it 4 times unsucessfully. I, too, got the same generic explanations and had my apps with thousands of downloads removed.

Dylan, could you personally respond to my email address? I can’t seem to find yours.

12. shawn says:

this as well happened to me… anyone figure out how to get a new account yet? i used my friends info and bank info for checkout, and repacked my apks with different package names, they were good for a week or two…then banned again

• Steve Bones says:

hi Shawn, did you sign the apps with a different key as well? Is your Google accounts still ok? What sort of apps did you have?

13. todd e says:

any way to get your wep calc. ??

sorry to hear you are banned from android mkt.

todd

14. Steve Bones says:

15. anon says:

My plan on getting back on the market if I cannot get my account reinstated is as follows.

1 start a LLC and get a tax id from the IRS
    2 open a new Google checkout with that information and a new email
    3 make a new keystore
    4 open a bank account with the LLC information and tax id so I have someplace to send my Google payouts.
    5 completely change all my package names and only upload new apps
    6 only upload apps from public computers and try to use as many different IP addresses as possible
    7 profit

If anyone can think of a way to improve this process I am all ears.

• DroidKnight says:

Hi Anon, Dylan and all,

I am in the same boat as everyone else. Google has banned me from Android Market,
      and I have tried using different credit card, internet connection, application name, keystore and still get banned again (within 72 hours).

Anon, can you please let all of us know if your above method worked? Or what else which worked?
      I am waiting to get back into the bandwagon of developing android apps again.
      If only Google gave me a 1 final warning, and warned on what was about to happen to me, I will never have attempted to violate the rules. I have never felt this disappointed in my actions, ever in my life.

Feeling down….
      DroidKnight

• Chuck says:

Unfortunately this is close to the only work around I have found, I have had numerous accounts banned my newest one has lasted about 2 months now though. I did just about everything you said apart from using public computers I hid behind proxies for the first month but have stopped doing that and am still on there…(Knock on wood)

16. AAM says:

I had been banned as well for having pg13 style content featuring photos I paid for mobile rights to distribute. No nudity was shown at all, you see more on tv shows and beer commercials. They wouldn’t tell me what images were against the policy and with 1000′s of apps with stolen images still on the market I was disappointed. My apps were well build, didn’t hijack anyone’s phone or spam sites to anyone. I understand stopping those who steal content or applications that are adult (nude). It is truly to bad that google does not have the desire to work with all of its developers or even communicate outside of a generic email. Android is taking over the mobile world and I don’t want to be left behind.

That said for all of you who have been banned and have quality applications there are 3rd party stores but of course the eye balls on them is nothing vs. android market. I put my apps on AdultAppMart.com I don’t want to spam this blog as I think the information provided is very helpful to all of us but I did want to let everyone know about other options.

17. Kitty says:

Hey why can’t I view comment on an Android device on our website?

18. larry says:

Wow that’s crazy cuz I loved that app

19. Christian Chase says:

I had an app called Text Message Bomber and Google suspended the app. My account hasnt been entirely banned so i just re-uploaded it with a new name, description, and icon. https://market.android.com/details?id=appinventor.ai_christianchase7.EasyTexting&feature=search_result do you think the description covers it all?

20. Kai Jensen says:

Hallo,

where can i buy the EliteBomb Plus version?

21. banned user says:

I believe if u continue to upload the same apps that got you banned to begin with you will continue to get banned with the new account. When you make a new account don’t upload apps that got you banned.

22. hanschke says:

I have lost my backup and now can you please send me the Plus of your Apps?

23. trarae says:

I wish u the best. Prank calls are allowed but multiple texts aren’t LOL how dumb I need revenge for a prank call so I hope I can get ur app on my phone

24. darvis says:

i was bann from the market but i am going to try a new account. I am also selling android apps in the Amazon App Store but still i don’t have any luck in sells yet so i’m force to open a new account and hope it doesnt shut down.

25. Curtis says:

I was actually looking for a way to get your rapid fire mode on elitebomb i saw it a few times but haven’t found it if you could direct me to get it i would be very appreciative

26. cirko says:

I also just got suspended, first i was because of i made an app for “zumba” there was copyright on my app got suspended my fault.. Later i got banned because i had an app with youtube clips seriously..

I can’t do anything about it so i can only take it from here, the sad part is, yesterday i increased my sells from $10 day to $25.. Talk about bad luck..

But i have heard about other guys making a new account, did it work, or did you guys get banned?

27. Cameron Heslop says:

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your accounts being suspended.

I am wanting help on a matter. I need to bomb my lawyers e-mail accounts because I owe places money and they offered me a deal which expires on 29 February 2012. She is sitting on a bus load of my money but she refuses to pay the people I owe money to. And this is the whole season why she has been connecting money from me.

I paid her for her service buy she refuses to do what I ask.

She doesn’t return my phone calls and doesn’t reply to my e-mail so I want to bomb her with a specific e-mail. How can I do this.

Please help me some how.

Thanks

Cameron

28. Michael says:

It just happened to me as well…I just received the exact same email yesterday, Google decided to suspend my account 04.13.14 with the exact same email…with no heads up. I am devastated…don’t really know what to do other then the appeal…
    I had about 80 apps and had put sooo much efforts into these apps…
    Really disappointing…Google really holds your destiny in the palm of their hands…